Honda Marine BF250 - 20 in.
Call for Price
Redefining best in class.
With a unique blend of automotive and marine engine technologies, Honda's flagship, award winning BF250 is a showcase of engineering and technical excellence. With new technology like a unique air induction system, AMP+, a variable idle charging system, and a new gear case, you’re looking at a first-class outboard like no other.
The BF250 also offers the option of Honda’s exclusive Intelligent Shift and Throttle, or iST. iST provides all the features boaters are looking for, including:
• Allows for up to 4 engines and 2 control stations
• Effortless control
• Fine tuning of throttle settings at any speed
• Enhanced docking and slow speed control
• User-programmable system defaults
• Simple, easy to understand user interface
Of course, the BF250 also includes tried and true exclusive Honda technology. Like the BLAST system for a vastly improved hole shot, VTEC technology for more power where and when you want it, and Lean Burn Control for optimal fuel economy. These technologies deliver on Honda's promise of unparalleled performance, power and fuel efficiency.
Combine all this with Honda Marine’s True 5 Non-Declining Warranty, Honda's legendary quality and reliability, and our award winning dealer network, and you’ve got the right power plant for your boat.
- Superb control and easy installation: iST Intelligent Shift and Throttle: Honda's exclusive iST (Intelligent Shift and Throttle) gives you effortless control of your outboard. iST offers multi-engine applications, with fine tuning of throttle settings at any speed, enhanced docking and slow speed control, and a simple, easy to understand user interface. Available on select BF250 models.
- White models available: Choose between white and silver models to complement your boat.
- Instant Acceleration: BLAST® System: Boosted Low Speed Torque, or BLAST, improves acceleration at low speeds. A quick movement of the throttle control activates the BLAST® system, advancing the ignition curve aggressively. "Hole Shot" is vastly improved as more horsepower gets the hull up on plane quicker.
- Smooth acceleration and power: VTEC® Technology: Honda’s Variable Valve Timing & Lift Electronic Control (VTEC®) system provides power where and when you need it. VTEC gives you a broader, flatter torque curve and smooth power delivery throughout the engine’s operating range. The result is a superior combination of power, torque and fuel economy. VTEC is the modern replacement for displacement.
- Superior fuel efficiency - Lean Burn Control®: Lean Burn Control® increases fuel efficiency by allowing combustion to operate on a leaner air/fuel mixture. At cruising speed, this engine runs on up to 30% less fuel* than others in its class. (*Based on EPA Specific Fuel Consumption Mode.)
- AMP+ for additional charging at idle: The BF250 has an industry-first feature, AMP+. At idle, when the engine senses a need for additional amperage, AMP+ automatically increases the rpm’s by 100 to produce an additional 9 amps. This feature helps prevent the draining of critical battery power when using multiple accessories, a concern when you’re fishing miles offshore.
- Cooler air, more horsepower - Separate Dual Air Circuits: The BF250 has another industry-first; separate dual air circuits. The first is used to cool the engine where air is drawn into the front of the engine and circulated around critical engine components. A top mounted cooling fan draws cooling air over the alternator. The second intake circuit directs cool air from the upper intake vents, separates out moisture, and then inducts it into the throttle body. This system provides for cooler, denser air for better combustion as compared to conventional under-cowl induction systems.
- On-board connectivity - NMEA 2000: NMEA 2000 protocols allow engine data to be interfaced with on-board systems and systems displays, such as SONAR or GPS.
- Defy the Elements with 4-Front Corrosion Protection System: A patented, "Double Sealed" multi-layered paint process. Sacrificial anodes and stainless steel technology, along with waterproof connectors, all enhance corrosion protection.
- World Famous Quality: The BF250 shares many components with the Honda Ridgeline, Odyssey, Honda Pilot, Accord, and Acura RL, gaining years of proven Honda engineering, precision manufacturing and reliability.
- Large Displacement V6 - Top performance and durability: A powerful, compact 24 valve SOHC design, without the bulk and weight of long intake runners and multi-camshafts. The narrow V6 design offers top performance and durability as well as great fuel economy.
- Large Air Intake Silencer Reduces Noise: The design of the variable air intake system on the Honda BF250 also includes a large air intake silencer that reduces noise. The silencing effect results from a chamber being added to the intake passage, causing sound waves to interfere with one another - effectively quieting noise.
- Tuned Dual Exhaust - increased efficiency: Some competitor's exhaust tracks goes through the middle of the oil pan, pre-heating the oil. Honda's dual exhaust headers wrap around the outside of the oil pan. This reduces heat build-up, and increases engine efficiency and performance.
- Multi-port Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) - Powerful performance: Programmed Fuel Injection delivers the precise amount of fuel/air to each cylinder. The result is easy starts and instant throttle response with superior fuel efficiency.
- Extreme Duty Gearcase - better durability: The BF250 features an all new high performance gear case designed to withstand the extreme duty cycles of law enforcement and military patrol boats. This combined with a new gear reduction ratio (2.00:1) and large range of propellers (up to 16 inch diameter) provides high levels of all around performance.
- True 5 Warranty - unmatched peace of mind: Honda's True 5 Warranty is the best in the business. This transferable, non-declining warranty is the same on the last day as it is on the first.
- High Output Charging - More usable power: The BF250’s charging system features a 90 amp "On Demand" belt-driven alternator with 60 chargng amps. This superior design reduces heat buildup and provides outstanding battery charging across the RPM range.
- Advanced ECU predicts the user's operation: The technologically-advanced Electronic Control Unit (ECU) in the Honda BF250 can predict the operator’s shifting operation based on changes in engine speed and throttle position. In order to reduce the shifting load, the ECU actually controls the ignition timing to modify torque when the operator shifts from partial to neutral.
- Engine Alert System - Protects your engine: The ECM monitors vital engine functions and prevents engine damage by alerting the operator of: Overheating; Water in Fuel; Low Oil PSI; Battery; Over-Rev; Critical Engine Function
- Slim 60° profile for dual engine applications: No need for expensive transom modifications! The BF250’s slim 60° profile allows for mounting of dual engines on an industry standard 26” center-to-center distance. Makes repowers easier!
- Saltwater protection: Honda has painted the interior cooling passages on the BF250. This process prolongs the engine's life in the harsh saltwater environment.
- 2-Pass Cooling System - better cooling for better durability: The unique cooling system maintains an even temperature on all cylinders. The incoming water passes through each aluminum exhaust manifold, then through the cylinder heads and back around the exhaust manifolds before entering the exhaust. This results in increased cooling efficiency and long-term durability!
- Positive Lubrication - better durability: A crankshaft-driven, automotive-style trochoid oil pump ensures long-term durability of critical engine components.
- Convenient Single Latch Cowl: A single front-mounted latch combines with 4 securing points to ensure a water-tight seal.
- Sealed Starter - Protection for long life: The starter motor is inverted into a sealed chamber that protects the starter drive from the elements.
- Fresh Water Flushport: Flushes debris and saltwater out of the engine, extending the life of the outboard.
- Stainless Steel components (Steering Arm, Tilt Tube and all Shafts) - corrosion resistance: Stainless steel components provide durability with long-term corrosion resistance.
- Oxygen (O2) and Knock Sensors - Optimum Efficency: Oxygen (O2) and knock sensors help determine the correct fuel flow and ignition curve to maximize performance and fuel efficiency.
- Counter Rotation Available: Improves efficiency, hull maneuverability and decreases driver fatigue.
- Ultra Low 3 Star CARB Emissions: Environmentally conscious technology. All Honda Marine engines exceed the highest CARB 3-Star rating to meet the rigorous California Air Resource Board's standards.
- Spark plug maintenance cover - easy access: Assists in ease-of-maintenance of the spark plug. This window provides access to the spark plugs without removing the entire engine cover.
- Built-In Pitot Tube: Built-in pitot tube in the gear case eliminates the need to drill holes in your boat for speedometer installation.
- Reliable, Efficient 4-Stroke Design: World-renowned Honda quality combines proven reliability and superior fuel efficiency, with no oil mixing.
- Available in 20, 25, and 30 inch shaft models
- Type: 4-Stroke, SOHC, 60° V6, 24 Valve
- Displacement: 3583cc (219 cu.in.)
- Bore & Stroke: 89 x 96 mm
- Full Throttle RPM Range: 5300 - 6300 rpm
- Rated Power: 250 hp @ 5800 rpm
- Cooling System: Water Cooled
- Fuel Delivery: Programmed Fuel injection
- Ignition System: MicroComputer Programmed
- Starting System: Electric
- Exhaust: Through Hub
- Lubrication: Wet Sump
- Trim Range: -4 deg. to +16 deg.
- Tilt Range: 72 deg.
- Gear Ratio: 2.00:1 (24/12)
- Gear Shift: F-N-R
- Alternator (Electric Start): 90-Amp (1118 watt)
- Battery Charging Power: 60 Amps (756 watts)
- Propeller: Optional
- Power Trim & Tilt: Standard
- Oil Pressure Alert: Standard
- Temperature Alert: Standard
- Rev-Limiter: Standard
- Speedometer Pickup: Standard
- Overall Width: 625 mm/24.6 in.
- L Type: 508 mm/20 in.
- L-Type: 272 kg/600 lb.
- Engine Type
- 4-Stroke, SOHC, 60 deg. V6, 24 Valve
- Bore x Stroke
- 89 x 96 mm (89 x 96 mm)
- 3583cc (219 cu.in.)
- Shaft Length
- 20 in. (508mm)
- 600 lb. (272 kg)
- Trim Method
- -4 deg. to +16 deg.
- Propshaft Horsepower
- 250 hp @ 5800 rpm
- Full Throttle Operating Range
- 5300 - 6300 rpm
- Gear Ratio / Shift
- 2.00:1 (24/12) / F-N-R
- Fuel Induction
- Programmed Fuel injection
- 90-Amp (1118 watt)
- Water Cooled
- True 5 Warranty